Springfield Metro Area
- The Springfield, Missouri Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) is comprised of Greene, Christian, Webster, Polk and Dallas counties and has a population of over 452,000 people.
- Springfield's area of economic influence reaches 27 counties and 1,033,992 people.
- Since 2000, the metro area's average annual growth rate has been around 1.6%.
- The Springfield metro workforce has grown more than 9% in the past 10 years and in 2004 accounted for more than one-third of Missouri's total job growth.
- The area's unemployment rate of 5.1% has steadily decreased since 2010 which was at its highest at 8.8% since 1990.
- In the Springfield metro area, 95% of businesses have fewer than 50 employees.
- The health care industry employs almost 32,000 people (17% of the total workforce) with a $4.5 billion dollar annual economic impact.
- Springfield's economic output (gross metro product) grew 38% in the past decade.
- The manufacturing sector creates an $18.6 billion economic impact each year and provides well-paying jobs for over 14,000 people in the area.
- Annual retail sales for the City of Springfield have been $4.0 billion and $5.8 billion for the Springfield metropolitan area.
- The cost of living in Springfield stays consistently 10% below the national average.
- 1.2 million visitors stay overnight in Springfield.
- Springfield-Branson National Airport (SGF) connects to 10 different cities with more than 23 daily flights.
- In 2005, SGF was the 4th fastest growing airport in the U.S. and the new terminal building was completed in 2009.
- Located in the center of the country, Springfield is a transportation hub with numerous trucking terminals. Logistics provides an annual economic impact of $14.3 billion to the metro area.
- The renaissance in downtown Springfield has transformed this historic district into the heart of the Springfield region. Fine dining, trendy retail, a lively art scene, entertainment venues and an explosion of loft apartments exist at every turn.
- More than $400 million of private and public money has gone into historic renovations, high-tech research facilities, an 8,000 seat baseball stadium--home to the AA Springfield Cardinals, convention center, recreational ice rink and plenty of park space.
Well-known companies with large operations in the Springfield region include the following:
Detailed information on Census and reference data.
Short Form Download
(0.3 mb; 96 dpi)
Best for viewing on screen
High Quality Print »
(2 mb; 600 dpi)
Best for general printing
Toll Free: 800-879-7504
Springfield Business Development Corporation
202 S. John Q. Hammons Pkwy
Springfield, Missouri 65806